The havoc created by COVID-19 has impacted the entire human race, bringing our fast-paced lives to a complete halt. People from all over the world are overwhelmed at the thought of COVID-19 as there is no cure for the disease yet. So far, the best-known cure for the ailment is “Prevention”. Ayurveda is enriched with a plethora of rich techniques that can help build our body’s immunity, and in some cases help us cure mild ailments. Home remedies to cure dry cough and sore throat are shared below for preventing them and strengthening your body’s defense mechanism.
Panic about the coronavirus has led us to look for information that includes natural remedies and preventive measures. The disease is spread by human to human contact and the most common symptoms of COVID-19 are shortening of the breath, fever, tiredness, sore throat, and dry cough. There are many people who are experiencing a dry cough & sore throat nowadays and are confusing it with a symptom of coronavirus. Check out the clear instructions from valid sources, here are some myth busters from WHO on Coronavirus. However, safety is a good thing but panicking is not a solution to anything. If you find yourself suffering from any of these symptoms seek medical help.
Coming to home remedies for dry cough & sore throat is a problem that can strike you at any time of the year, however, your chances increase during winters. During winters, the cold air can dry out the tissue in the throat and can cause severe irritation, besides this:
- Viral / Bacterial infections such as cold or flu
- Breathing through your mouth instead of breathing through your nose
- Change in temperature
- Injury to the throat
- Smoke, chemicals, and other irritants
- Sleeping with the open mouth
- Overuse of the voice, and
- A burn from hot food is the major cause of a sore throat
Dry cough & sore throat is usually characterized by the pain, scratchiness, or irritation of the throat that often worsens when you swallow. Sometimes, the pain is so severe that it becomes difficult for a person to speak. Even if you don’t feel the need to visit a doctor, it is still painful and may disturb your lifestyle.
Thankfully we have some preventive healthcare home remedies to soothe the pain and irritation. Here are seven ingredients that are beneficial in relieving dry cough & throat pain and that can be easily found in our kitchens. These are just for prevention purposes and for any serious issues, you’re advised to seek medical help.
Use of black Pepper/Kali Mirch
It is more than a kitchen staple. The presence of the essential oil called piperine in Pepper helps fight virus and bacterial infection and relieve chest congestion.
- A pinch of black pepper powder mixed with a half teaspoon of honey is a proven home remedy for treating a dry cough & sore throat due to flu, viral infection, or pollution.
- If you have acute pain in the head, boil 1 tablespoon full pepper powder in a cup of milk along with a pinch of turmeric (Haldi) and drink it until you get healed.
Use of Garlic as one of the home remedies to cure dry cough
Garlic has been used all across the globe for thousands of years for its natural healing properties. It contains a compound named allicin that has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties.
- If you have a dry cough & sore throat, you can chew on a raw clove, or take a slice and suck on it for 15 minutes. This will really help relieve throat pain.
- If you find it difficult to eat then you can mince it and add some honey or olive oil.
Use of Peppermint
Peppermint oil acts as an antimicrobial agent. The presence of menthol in peppermint calms sore throats and coughs.
- Put a few drops of peppermint oil in a half cup of warm water and mix it. Gargle for a minute. Do not swallow/ingest it.
- Put a few drops of oil on your palm and rub it. Cover your nose with both hands and inhale deeply 6 times.
Use of Turmeric
Turmeric is one of the most effective nutritional supplements in existence. Research has shown that turmeric works against a sore throat by inhibiting inflammation and provides relief from symptoms like burning, itching, pain, and swelling within the throat.
- In case of a sore throat, you can mix half a teaspoon of turmeric and half a teaspoon of salt into one cup of hot water and gargle.
- Drinking turmeric milk before going to bed is also beneficial for relieving dry cough & sore throat.
Use of Honey
Honey has been widely used all across the globe for its health and therapeutic abilities. It has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, anticancer, and antiviral, properties.
- You can combine the soothing capabilities of honey with the warmness of black tea to cure a sore throat.
- Add some lemon to your black tea mixed with honey for an extra kick of vitamin C. This combination will also help to stop your loose motions.
- Lukewarm with honey & lemon can help boost your immunity, to reduce your weight.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, (CDC), honey can be used to get some relief if your sore throat is accompanied by a cough.
Use of Fenugreek Seeds
Due to their antibacterial properties, fenugreek or methi seeds are widely used as a home remedy for dry cough & sore throat. A study published in the Journal of Botany stated that it was especially effective against the bacterium that causes a sore throat. It has great antifungal properties and can relieve pain and kill bacteria that cause irritation or inflammation.
For home treatment of dry cough & sore throat, you can eat fenugreek seeds, use topical oil, or drink fenugreek tea. However, pregnant women should avoid having fenugreek seeds as it increases pitta dosha which is heated in the body.
Use of Basil Leaves/Tulsi
People all over the world are aware of the healing and healthful properties of Tulsi or Basil leaves. Packed with strong anti-inflammatory properties, Tulsi helps lower inflammation and lowers the risk of heart disease, and inflammatory bowel conditions.
- Chewing of tulsi leaves soothes a dry cough, sore throat, cold, and flu.
- Drinking lukewarm decoction of basil leaves 2 times a day helps to cure dry cough & sore throat. The same decoction can also be used for gargles.
- Tulsi tea is also helpful to calm your sore throat.
These were 7 basic ingredients that can be used as home remedies against a dry cough & sore throat or throat pain. Here are some more tips to stay safe.
- Apart from that, you can prevent attacks of viruses like coronavirus by following Govt. & health authorities’ orders.
- Stay away from people who are sick with an infectious illness like the flu or strep throat.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap & water for 20 seconds or with alcohol sanitizer or with Haldi decoction.
- Eat only well-cooked food, consume low food as you will be self quarantined in your homes, you hardly have any physical activity to digest.
- Avoid spicy/acidic food/packaged food and stay away from chemicals or other irritants that can cause inflammation.
- Avoid going out, Wear a mask and stay at home if you are sick
- Avoid traveling unless it is really important
- Wear a mask, gloves & apron if you are taking care of a sick or ill person.
- Seek medical care at the earliest if you become sick.
- Perform Nasya, Dhoopan & Dhoompan, daily at your home.
- Food & Cold drinks – Avoid fried, cold, and sweet food
- Practice Yoga and Pranayama
- Add basil leaves to your diet
- Lemon honey water/tea
- Eat one tablespoon of Chyawanprash daily
- Check out our website for more such tips on preventive healthcare and also get your consultation for just Rs.500 from our experts. Wait not quickly schedule your appointment. Stay inside, stay safe!